On February 3, our little family of 4 ventured in our Mini Van out of the State of Florida and Up I-95 toward Virginia. The purpose of the trip was to be at our new little nephew, Christopher's, baptism. However, we decided to turn it into a family vacation on the way...our first vacation where just the four of us spent some time exploring cities in this great United States!
Our first stop...Charleston, SC. We went around the city and also visited the South Carolina Aquarium. Caitlin had a blast looking at the fish and playing in their 'toddler zone'. The first night in the hotel room was a success...although, it took some adjusting to get two very hyper children to fall asleep.
Following Charleston, we found our way to Fredericksburg, VA to Aunt Tracy & Uncle Corey's house. Saturday, we left the kids with Grandma & Grandpap Haney and Aunt Tracy, Uncle Corey & Christopher. Roger and I took a trip into DC (about an hour away from Tracy's). We met up with a college friend of his and his wife. We had a lovely lunch with them, and then we took to the streets, and the two of us explored the brilliance and amazing architecture of our Nation's Captial. I know this sounds cheesy, but I knew it was going to be an emotional tour of the city, when we were driving in, our National Anthem came on our radio...so as we drove over the Potomac, tears filled my eyes, as I heard the words to that brilliant song. Oh, it was amazing. The tears didn't stop there. Standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, I looked down to see the words, Martin Luther King, Jr...I have a dream. WOW...to stand where he stood and look over the mall. No words for this feeling. The Korean War Memorial was also breathtaking...especially knowing that my Grandpa Sivula fought in this war...it brought chills all over. AMAZING. As I could go on and on about our brief, but amazing day in DC, my favorite of all had to be Arlington. What a very sobering experience. To walk those hallowed grounds, and see all the markers of those that fought for our great Country...what an amazing experience. Of course we viewed the Kennedy gravesites and also the Tomb of the Unknown Soliders. This whole experience just makes me realize how grateful I am for our great Military and this remarkable Country that we live in. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Sunday was also a great day, as Baby Christopher was Baptized into the Catholic Church. Roger and I were honored with being named his Godparents. It is one of the greatest questions that I have ever been asked...to be the Godmother of my new little nephew is such a blessing to me. Christopher, my promise to you is to guide you spiritually and be here for you whenever you need me...We love you, little boy!
We will skip over the Super Bowl Game on Sunday night, as you know it wasn't a good turn out for my husband and his family. However, happy for my Dad...as his Packers were victorious that evening. :)
We left Tracy's on Monday and drove to Johnstown to visit Roger's Grandmother. It was a great two days where she spoiled us with amazing meals (Pot Roast and lasagna). The kids had some fun time of love and laughter with G&G Haney and Great Grandma Haney as well. So that was nice to have that.
We left Johnstown on Wednesday and stayed at Tracy & Corey's in VA on Wednesday night and left Thursday morning to embark on our journey home.
Thursday, we stayed in Savannah, GA...one of my favorite places off of I-95. :) We took the kids for a walk down Bay Street and River Street...although it was quite cold for us on that day. We went for a nice dinner at the River Street Seafood house. And the trip would not be complete without a visit to the Savannah Candy Company Store at Market Square to pick up my caramel apple and taffy for us and G&G Sivula.
Following our trip to Savannah, we visited a friend in Jacksonville and then arrived home on Friday, February 12. 9 days of fun and family was the best thing I could have asked for. It was such a great bonding time with the 4 of us...and it makes me love my little family of four, so much more than I thought I ever could.
Thank you for the hospitality to all the family that we visited along the way...and we cannot wait for our next road trip...whenever that might be. Happy trails...photos below. :)
 |
| Grandparents Haney, Bowman, Parents & Godparents |
 |
| Godparents and Parents with Sweet Little Christopher |
 |
| Lincoln Memorial |
 |
| WHITE HOUSE! |
 |
| Breathtaking Korean War Memorial |
 |
| Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers |
 |
| COUSINS ready for the Super Bowl |
 |
| Florida Girl ready for SNOW! |
 |
| Weeee! This is FUN! |
 |
| G&G Haney |
 |
| With Mommy and Daddy |
 |
| Jake LOVES Great Grandma Haney! |
 |
| Daddy and Jake |
 |
| Mommy & Caitlin |
No comments:
Post a Comment